Thursday, February 18, 2010

Choose one character from The Grapes of Wrath and list four important quotes said by or written by this character. Explain what you believe these quotes reveal about the character

Tom Joad

"What the hell you want to lead 'em someplace for? Jus' Lead 'em."
I loved this quote for several reasons outside of the book's meaning of it. This reveals to me that Tom is very opinionated and free spirited, and doesn't like it when people tell him what to do with his life. That doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate advice or guidance, he just doesn't want to be forced to take a single path. He is just living.

" I don't give a damn who know it. An' I'm goin' to my old man's place so I don't have to lie to get a job."
This shows me he is honest and he isn't easily affected by other people's view of him.

"But sometimes, a guy'll be a good guy even if some rich bastard makes him carry a sticker."
This tells me his family and him aren't very wealthy and that he is a straightforward guy. He doesn't hide much.

"I ain't got a thing in the worl' to win, no matter how it comes out."
He has nothing. He is a loner and sort of a rebel.


No comments:

Post a Comment