Monday, January 25, 2010

Internship Final Week- Day 1
In the course of one typical workday, how many different people do you directly work with? How many people are indirectly affected by your work.
On a typical day, I will work with anywhere from 2-5 people. The studio is usually quiet due to the lessons in progress, but different teachers will rotate in, and I will help them prepare for a lesson, break down, manage their upcoming schedule etc. I don't think people are indirectly affected by my work. I can't think of how anyone would be.

Describe your direct collaboration with others—how does it go & how does it influence the work?
Direct collaboration is something I haven't experienced in great amounts at my internship. I have been a very independent worker in everything I have been doing. I have been helping a lot with events that the RMC has been having such as their Fun Friday and RMC Jam events. I guess that could count as collaboration, because the teachers and I work together to accomplish a common goal. Working together with the teachers to host good events, teach productive lessons and ensure a common sense of learning together have been a couple main goals I have tried to accomplish with the teachers and students at the RMC. I think this has influenced the work in a very positive way. I hope someone has walked away with something more than a music lesson because of something I have done.

Describe your indirect impact on others through your work—there are probably many people you never actually see who are affected by your work. How does this happen? How does this influence your work?
I think by designing advertisements for the RMC, people have seen them and have began to think about taking music lessons. Who knows if I have inspired the next Hendrix, Peart, or Lambert. This influences my work by inspiring me to keep designing for companies, because all it takes is the right design to catch someones eye, enough for them to read the poster and be inspired.

How might different resources change the way we work?
I think with better resources, my internship could expand their lessons and appeal to an older and more experienced audience. Right now, their classes are more directed towards the young (3-13) and older (40-70). I think by having more resources (Better drums, acoustic drums, brass lessons etc) they could close the gap between 13 and 40 and appeal to young adults such as myself.

How would you use collaboration if you were in charge?
If I were in charge, we would work a lot more as a tightly knitted team. A team bound to teach every kid a musical instrument before they get an xbox or ps3. To teach them how to think on the spot and play collaborate with friends on more creative things than xbox live. Participate in a quartet, join marching band. Something has to change with the exposure of music to kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment