Sunday, January 17, 2010




Project description

I work at the Recreational Music Center. The Recreational Music Center is a music studio in NTC that teaches lessons and classes on all different instruments. I am doing several projects. One of my main projects is creating a First Time Buyers Drum Reference Sheet for parents and students looking to purchase their first drum kits.


Through making this, I am hoping to learn even more about the quality of drums. I am also looking to help prevent people from wasting money on bad quality drumkits that are still expensive. I will include a list of what to look for when buying a drum kit, a list of good starter kits and bad starter kits. Something like this would have been helpful to me when I was looking into buying my first drum kit.


By doing this, I will be helping the RMC find more affordable drums for their customers, and also for them as well. I began research for this project on Wednesday. On Friday I went up to Anaheim for the North American Music Merchants Show where I saw many good products, but also a lot of bad ones for customers to be aware of.


This project is going to take a lot of research and time. When it is finished, it will be anywhere from 5-7 pages with pictures and stories from other people that got fooled into buying a bad drum kit when they were young such as myself. It is going to take a lot of writing, so I am going to need to spend a lot of time with several drafts of the final project.

This will be exhibited at the RMC Jam on January 23rd. I am trying to get a couple of special guests and bands to appear at this event in Liberty Station. I will also hopefully have a draft done by this friday.

Summary

This was an amazing week at internship. My internship sent me up to every musicians heaven-The Namm Show, where I met several inspirational people and got a couple more clients for my internship. It was the best trip of 2010 so far. My cohort meeting went well also which I feel made my internship mentor a little happier about the whole internship experience. I think we will be starting off with a whole new outlook of this experience on Tuesday.

I faced several challenges this week. I had a lot of work that needed to be done, but I am still working hard to finish everything. I needed to concentrate a little harder and make myself free from distractions, and it is working well now.

Something that surprised me this week was the amount of clients that they had. I cleared out their database of clients that were former and new, and they have a lot more than I expected. I didn't expect a lot of people coming in for their events, but a solid 20-25 people came through, which made me feel good about the amount of people that will be seeing my final product.

I would describe my first week to someone that has not had internship before in one word. REAL. It was so unbelievably similar to what you are scared of going into an actual job. But just as other things do after the first week, it got better.


1 comment:

  1. The project sounds really great. You'll be able to excersice many academic skills, while still learning a lot. It's going to require a lot of work, and I think everyone will be impressed. Feel free to send me any drafts for critiques.

    ReplyDelete